Our combined forensic examination and clinical treatment documented the severe life-altering sequelae of brain injury in a high-value case without loss of consciousness but with permanent posttraumatic amnesia. Injuries caused by impact from a corporate-owned truck resulted in permanent loss of vocational, parenting, and independent living capacity for a mother of two young sons.
The theatrical effect of a high-speed front-end collision of a car and truck that resulted in removal of most of an older gentleman’s scalp was mitigated by neuropsychological examination, which showed no significant injury to the brain but symptoms of major depression that were maintained by unrelated factors of unexpected and premature death of a loved adult son and loss of a lifelong profession due to displacement by technological innovations.
State Board of Mediation and Arbitration, Labor Department
- “The Majority focused their attention on the diagnostic evidence presented by the three health care professionals [Dr. Sarfaty, another neuropsychologist, and a forensic psychologist] who examined [subject]. Of those, we find that the presentation of Dr. Sarfaty was the most thorough and credible presentation of the facts and prognosis of the Grievant’s psychological fitness for duty. As his testimony showed, the breadth of Dr. Sarfaty’s evaluation was more extensive and comprehensive because he studied much pre-interview background, conducted a thorough and lengthy interview, reviewed [subject]’s personnel file and performed a battery of objective tests. Likewise he reviewed the Grievant’s medical records and other pertinent information. Of the two psychologists who testified, Dr. Sarfaty was the only to examine [subject].
- In view of all the above factors, the Majority placed greater weight on the prognosis and evaluation offered through the testimony of Dr. Stephen Sarfaty.”
- “The Plaintiff had been involved in a prior incident in which he sustained a traumatic brain injury. He had cognitive deficiencies and right-sided paralysis prior to the [more recent] accident, in which he sustained a right frontal skull fracture. Dr. Sarfaty was retained to determine the extent, if any, of the subsequent accident. Dr. Sarfaty took the time to perform extensive testing of the Plaintiff which mirrored the test performed prior to the [more recent] accident. Using these results, Dr. Sarfaty was able to identify the increased deficiencies which the Plaintiff sustained as a result of the latest accident. Given the thorough testing and logical approach, the defense did not retain an expert and the case was resolved through mediation…It should be noted that the Plaintiff in this instance was an unwilling patient and he was resistant to the testing. Dr. Sarfaty exhibited the patience necessary to piecemeal the testing to arrive at the necessary conclusion…I want to thank you again for your patience and thoroughness in handling this matter. Your input obviously assisted the case, but more importantly helped the family in dealing with the injuries.”
- “Thank you again for all of your assistance and efforts in evaluating this matter. Your input was essential to assisting both the recovery in the action as well as direction for the client to address in the future.”
- “On behalf of his family and my entire staff I would like to extend our sincere appreciation for your assistance in [bringing his] case to a successful conclusion. In the coming days the press will report that the matter was settled for a record $million. In addition and equally important, the City has agreed to issue a public apology to [him] and his family and to institute retraining of all its police officers so that a tragedy such as befell [him] will hopefully never happen again. Without your help neither the size of the settlement nor the social change that comes with it would have been possible and for that we thank you.”
- “Your efforts on behalf of [litigant family] have been extraordinary. It is obvious that a great deal of [his] progress is due to your immense competence as his treating neuropsychologist. But, further, your cooperation in keeping us apprised of [his] progress and your generosity in making yourself available to us throughout the litigation is unprecedented in the 24 years that I have been working as a paralegal. The successful result we achieved for [him] is due in part to your efforts. Your impressive ability to express the subtleties of [his] brain injury so that a jury would understand how it has impacted upon his life was key in giving us the ammunition to put pressure on the defendants to settle. It has been a real pleasure working with you.”
- “I just wanted to let you know that the case settled this afternoon and to thank you for your report. Thanks again for your time and extraordinary consideration.”
- “Balanced.” “Thorough and detailed reports.” “Responsive.” “Appreciates the nuances of litigation.” “Very accommodating to schedule problems.”
- “Detailed and accurate.” Reported that, after four previous examinations with a multimillion dollar claim, based on the CNS examination, settled for 17% of claim.
Workers’ Compensation defense attorneys
- “Your thoroughness worked in pursuit of records and in your report.” “The commissioner said his decision was based mostly on your neuropsychological examination.”
- From a meeting of several attorneys in a Workers’ Compensation defense firm, “Extraordinarily thorough and meticulous.” “Professionally prepared reports.” “Responsive to litigation needs.” “You make yourself available.”
Defense attorney on a personal injury case
- “We were most impressed by the thorough preparation.” “Testimony was on target and educational.” “Have the ability to explain in an understandable fashion and anticipate issues at trial.” “Extremely well prepared.” “Very knowledgeable.” “Very jury-friendly in testimony in court.”
Additional client comment
- “Systematic, thoughtful analysis!”
Comprehensive Neuropsychological Services, P.C.
1095 South Main St.
Cheshire, CT 06410
Telephone: Local 203-271-3809, Toll-Free 877-788-7822